Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Changing Ratings
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Changing Ratings
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Changing Ratings 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 277
Changing a Rating After the Original Posting

It occurred to me that we occasionally have authors change a story's rating after they begin posting. Normally, this wouldn't even be an issue but, as the rating is one of the ways I monitor minors' use of our site, it can cause problems for minors who access stories that were originally rated for their age, but are then changed to something higher.

In view of this, I have a request to make of our authors:

I would ask that, if you find you will be increasing the rating on your story, would you please post a warning in an Author's Note at the beginning of the chapter where the rating is changed?

That way, minors that have 'faved' your story will know that it is no longer appropriate for them to view. It will also help me pin down the date at which the rating changed so that I can know if a minor has accessed that story BEFORE the ratings change, or AFTER the change. Thus, I will not run the risk of deleting a minor's profile in error for them having innocently viewed a story that was previously rated in their age category.

As always, the assistance of our terrific authors on this site is GREATLY appreciated!!

~~WiccanMethuselah~~
Site Administrator

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

The administrator has disabled public write access.
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Changing Ratings 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 29
I've thought about making a suggestion of this to a Mod or Admin in the past, but didn't know if it was my place or not. As I'm 26 the rule doesn't apply to me as a YIM but as an author who may or may not have an increased story rating in the distant future, I worry about YIMs happening upon M or MA content quite honestly by mistake. I think this is an excellent request to make.

Read and Agreed

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Changing Ratings 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 277
Thank you, m'dear! As I said, I greatly appreciate all the assistance by our authors!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Changing Ratings 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 15
Read and Agreed.

Though I have had a question about this clawing at my mind for awhile...
As author could/would it be possible that even though a story is K or K+ in content, if said author planned to bump up the rating later on after posting it, could they just go ahead without the lemon publish it as a M or MA rated story?

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Miss Anna S wrote:
Read and Agreed.

Though I have had a question about this clawing at my mind for awhile...
As author could/would it be possible that even though a story is K or K+ in content, if said author planned to bump up the rating later on after posting it, could they just go ahead without the lemon publish it as a M or MA rated story?

Many authors post their stories initially as M or MA because of future planned content. That way is actually easier because then others don't get engrossed in a story just to find out that they can't read it any longer.

So, I guess the short answer would be YES! Sorry, I tend to get wordy some days!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Changing Ratings 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 15
Okay good ^-^
thank you for clearing that up for me

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Miss Anna S wrote:
Okay good ^-^
thank you for clearing that up for me

You are most welcome, m'dear!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Changing Ratings 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
Hey Wiccan, is this "Rating: M for implied situations. It's pretty mild but rated M none the less so don't read if you are under 16." enough of a warning for a rating increase, it's part of a...

Title:
Author:
Word count:

Type thing. I'm a bit worried because how many people actually take the time to read those? I've got two one-shots, Six items or less and the morning after, which are part of my Sheer Cruelties collections, both are rated M while the others are all T.

Basically I'm wondering if the warning is enough or if I should just move it into its own collection to be safe.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Hairann wrote:
Hey Wiccan, is this "Rating: M for implied situations. It's pretty mild but rated M none the less so don't read if you are under 16." enough of a warning for a rating increase, it's part of a...

Title:
Author:
Word count:

Type thing. I'm a bit worried because how many people actually take the time to read those? I've got two one-shots, Six items or less and the morning after, which are part of my Sheer Cruelties collections, both are rated M while the others are all T.

Basically I'm wondering if the warning is enough or if I should just move it into its own collection to be safe.

I'm so sorry I missed this question!! I try to keep up, but sometimes, things slide off the home page so soon, I don't catch them.

Anyway, I think a note in bold at the top of the page would be a good idea, myself. That would definitely draw the eye to it and people would then have few excuses for not noticing the rating change. It works for me anyway.

Again, sorry it took me so long!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
No worries, I knew you'd notice it eventually cause if not I'd bug ya in tells . I'll go bold the warning then .

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Hairann wrote:
No worries, I knew you'd notice it eventually cause if not I'd bug ya in tells . I'll go bold the warning then .

Terrific! Thanks so much!!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Anytime

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.