Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 3
TOPIC: Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 277
Attribution - Do I Have to Do It?

What is Attribution?

Attribution is crediting the trademark or copyright holder of an original work whenever you use someone else’s work in your story. Although Dokuga has a blanket Disclaimer (another word for Attribution) at the bottom of each page for InuYasha, the manga and the anime, you MUST credit other people’s original work if you use it in a story.

What Sorts of Things Must I Attribute?

The #1 most overlooked attribution is that of song lyrics. You MUST attribute any song lyrics you use with the title of the song and, if possible, the name of the group performing it. This must be done in the Author’s Notes.

If you base your story on a published work, you must make sure to include the writer’s name and, if possible, the publisher in your Author’s Notes. In addition, you MAY NOT use another author’s published work word for word. Word for word copying of someone else’s story and changing only a few items is called Plagiarism. That will be dealt with in another tutorial.

Technically, any brand names that you use in stories should be attributed. Most companies do not go to the extent of prosecuting those who reference their brands, but one never knows when a company will do exactly that. For your sake, and the sake of the site, please try to keep that in mind when using brand names in your stories.

Again, attributions should go in your Author’s Notes.

If you are found to be writing a story based on another published work, a cross-over with another anime, or song lyrics without attribution, you will be warned ONCE. If not corrected, your story will be deleted. Please do your part to keep our site safe and remember to attribute!

~~Wiccan~~
PS - As usual, if you think you may have put something that is copyrighted or trademarked by others in your story, please do the necessary attribution BEFORE I am forced to warn you, thanks!!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/03/30 01:07 By wiccanmethuselah.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Lionel
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 3
Phew, glad I read this. I was going to base 2 of my invented characters from a Japanese game. Will be sure to fit an attribution in that chapter when it comes up.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 277
Lionel wrote:
Phew, glad I read this. I was going to base 2 of my invented characters from a Japanese game. Will be sure to fit an attribution in that chapter when it comes up.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I dearly wish that more people would take advantage of these tutorials, it would save us all so much time!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 29
Lionel, I justgave you karma,for being a total rock star. Thanks for reading the rules. Wiccan worked her cute little tushy off to write up these detailed clarifications in the hopes of making things easier for everyone.Its a relief knowing that if rules are broken their an HONEST mistake, and that our members are tryng to abide by the rules. We lovey ou guys! Again, thanks for reading these!

Logged Logged
TorturedRomance
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
What if there is a name that is commonly used in Japan, but it is also a popular manga character name?

P.S. I am getting ready to post my first story and I have a character like that. I trying to get all the rules down.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
TorturedRomance wrote:
What if there is a name that is commonly used in Japan, but it is also a popular manga character name?

P.S. I am getting ready to post my first story and I have a character like that. I trying to get all the rules down.

As long as your character is not BASED on the manga character, you should be fine. In other words, your character does not look like, or have a personality like, the manga character.

It's hard for those of us not Japanese to come up with original Japanese names for characters, so you will find MANY stories that "borrow" the names from other sources. Again, as long as the character is unique and does not share any attributes with a recognized manga or anime character, then you don't need to worry about a disclaimer or attribution.

Hope this helps!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

TorturedRomance
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
It does. Thank You!

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
You are most welcome, and THANK YOU for checking first!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Midnight Song
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Attribution 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi! I just have a question question and I think this is the right place to post it. I want to write either a chapter for one my fics already in progress, or a whole new one-shot or chapter story, based on the image I've linked below. The artist is here on Dokuga, and obviously I'm going to message her to see if I can get or need her permission to do such a thing, but it doesn't seem as if she's been online in a while. What do I do if she doesn't answer?

www.dokuga.com/gallery?func=detail&id=8013

-Fei

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.