Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The Shiny Challenge
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
This thread is a place to post all challenges. All challenges on this site need to be SessKag. If you have any questions contact a moderator.
Go to bottom Favoured: 9
TOPIC: The Shiny Challenge
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The Shiny Challenge 11 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 46
Welcome to the Shiny Challenge! Each month a rare gemstone shall be given as a prompt with some background info. You can use the prompt in various ways; color, meaning, history… anything that inspires you. The rules are simple. Both writers and artists can participate. For writers, it can be a new story or part of an ongoing one. It can be a drabble, a chapter story, a one-shot or a one-shot collection. There is no word count and all ratings are acceptable. Please mention here if it will be M or MA rated. There is no time limit. Have fun!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/03/16 10:55 By Stella Mira.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 11 Years ago Karma: 46
Emerald

They have graced Crown Jewels and embellished the thrones of some of the oldest dynasties in history. As a symbol of wealth and power they are unsurpassed. With their sparkling green lustre they are considered to be more precious than diamonds. And, carat for carat, they are the most expensive gems in the world. They are emeralds, the most precious of all gems. In ancient times emeralds held a real fascination for the people. In addition to their exquisite beauty, they were coveted for their supposed magical and healing powers. Emeralds were, in fact, considered to be a cure for many diseases. They were also believed to be able to heighten fertility and sexual desire in females.

According to Indian mythology, the name emerald was first translated from Sanskrit as “marakata,” meaning “the green of growing things.” The name we know it as now is believed to come from an ancient Persian word, translated to Latin as “smaragdus,” and eventually over time, corrupted to “emerald.” It is a stone that was worshiped by the Incas and mentioned in biblical information about the apocalypse. The earliest reference to emeralds in Western literature come from Aristotle. He was a great fan of the gemstone and wrote that owning an emerald increases the owner’s importance in presence and speech during business, gives victory in trials, helps settle litigation, and comforts and soothes eyesight.

Many cultures throughout time have believed the emerald to be an enormously powerful stone in different ways. The Chaldeans believed the stone contained a goddess. The ancient Egyptians believed the emerald stood for fertility and rebirth. In Ancient Rome, Nero supposedly watched gladiator fights through a large transparent emerald as he found the color to be calming. In some legends of King Arthur, the Holy Grail is described as being fashioned from an emerald. In China, Thursday was the day for wearing green and emeralds for good luck. However, various countries in the East and West varied in opinion on which day the emerald would bring good luck. There have been many beliefs that the emerald brings goodness into one’s life. The emerald has always been seen as a symbol of fidelity.

During the Middle Ages it was believed that it would keep a woman chaste. Not surprisingly, the same was not believed to be true for a man. In various languages, it was also stated that emeralds enable people to foretell future events if put on the tongue or worn on the left side of the body. Emeralds were also believed to reveal what was true or false and was said to be a sure antidote for enchantments and spells. They were also to give eloquence in speech and make people more intelligent and honest. It is believed that emeralds contain the energy that is necessary to bring creative form to your work. And it was once believed that a high quality emerald would change hues to alert the wearer to impending danger. They also help one express love, devotion, and adoration.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/05 04:55 By Stella Mira.

Lady Nefertiti
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 11 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 37
Okay here's mine for Emerald.

Title: Dangerous Dance
Rated: MA
Prompt: 58

Link: www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/7950/58

NO YIM's!

Note to Stella: I'll get around to your spicy challenge one of these days. I just can't find a place to put it in yet! lol

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 11 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 46
Sapphire

The word Sapphire is derived from the Latin word “Saphirus” and the Greek word "Sappheiros" which means "blue stone". The Sapphire is one of the earliest gems known to man. Sapphires are found in riverbeds and torrents, the force of the water washing the stones from their matrix; and to this day are still found under these conditions. In its finest quality the sapphire is of a deep blue colour. The more it resembles the dark velvety blue of the Pansy the greater is its value. Blue is by far the most popular color for sapphires, but they can be almost any color, including yellow, green, white, colorless, pink, orange, brown, and purple. Padparadscha is the name for a rare orange-pink variety of sapphire and has a higher value than blue sapphires.

During their history Sapphires have been the most venerated amongst all nations, and particularly in the East it is the stone most frequently consecrated to the various gods and deities. Blue sapphires were believed to reflect heaven and ward off evil. They were the gems of choice among clergy, emperors and kings in ancient civilizations like Persia. Amongst Buddhists it is believed to produce a desire for prayer, and is regarded as the Stone of Stones to give Spiritual Light, and to bring Peace and Happiness as long as the wearer of a sapphire leads a moral life. The Jews also held sapphires in high veneration, the seal-stone in the ring of King Solomon was said to have been a Sapphire.

During the Middle Ages the qualities attributed to Sapphires were that they preserved Chastity, discovered Fraud and Treachery, protected from Poison, Plague, Fever, and Skin Diseases and had great power in resisting black magic. In smallpox sapphires were thought to preserve the eyes from injury if rubbed on them. It is also considered an antidepressant and an aid to psychokinesis, telepathy, clairvoyance and astral projection. Through history, sapphire symbolizes truth, sincerity, and faithfulness in relationships, and to bring peace, joy and wisdom to the wearer and owner. In the past, the sapphire was also believed to be a talisman that would protect you against evil spirits and other unsavory creatures of the night. The ancients regarded star sapphires as a powerful talisman protecting travelers and seekers. They were so powerful, they would continue protecting the wearer even after being passed on to another person.

Cloudy Sapphires are sometimes found which owing to a peculiarity in their composition show six rays of light running from the top of the stone. These are known as Asteria, or Star Stones. Star sapphires were believed to be powerful for the procuring of favours, for bringing good fortune and as protection against witchcraft. Star Sapphires were also valued in Ancient History as a love charm. The wife of the Emperor Charlemagne is reputed to have possessed a very powerful charm consisting of two rough Sapphires and a portion of the Holy Cross, made by the Magi in the train of the Emperor of the East. This Talisman, or love charm, was made for the purpose of keeping the Emperor's affections constant to his wife. The sapphire charm worked so well that his love endured after her death.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/05 04:56 By Stella Mira.

BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 11 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 60
Awesome! Another cool challenge! I hope I get some inspiration because I want that banner!

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 11 Years ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Emerald"!

Title: Dearly Beloved
Chapter 117

Logged Logged

I claimed Midoriko`s Hair in the Claim Game!

Dokuga Minions Unite! Be positive. Be proud. Show support for Dokuga!
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Great job, Aviel! I just love Shippou! The banner is all yours!

Logged Logged

Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 11 Years ago Karma: 17
Ooo! This sounds so exciting! I have work set out ahead of me it seems.

Hey Stella, is there a chance blue diamonds will be on the list of gems?

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Diamonds will be on the list. You can use any diamond color you like, Rin-Rin! Personally, I am fond of black diamonds lol

Logged Logged

Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 11 Years ago Karma: 17
Ooo, yay. I like blue diamonds because of a certain blue diamond which is ironically named the Hope Diamond... -__-

Logged Logged

Lady Nefertiti
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 11 Years ago Karma: 37
Here's Sapphire.

Link: www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/7950/101

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 46
Next Shiny entry!

Ruby

The name ruby comes from the Latin word ruber, which means red. It is favorite gem among those in power and those in love, inspiring more emotion than almost any other stone. Some ancient cultures believed that rubies, as well as other gemstones, grew on trees, just like fruit. The rubies would begin budding as small white gems, and would slowly grow and ripen, turning red in the light of the sun. When the ruby was saturated with red color, it was ready to be plucked. Ruby is deemed to be the most precious of gemstones by the Bible and the ancient Sanskrit writings. Indeed, upon discovery of each Ruby crystal, the Indian Emperor would give a special royal welcome to this King of Gemstones.

To the ancients, ruby was known as "the king of gems". To some it was a representation of the sun. To others it represented integrity, devotion, happiness, healing, courage, romance, generosity, inspiration, and prosperity. According to legend, warriors implanted rubies under their skin to bring valor in battle. As a talisman, ruby would warn its owner against danger and disaster. Ground to a fine powder and placed on the tongue, it was believed by some ancient cultures to cure blood diseases, stop bleeding, ensure good health, bring peace, and treat indigestion.

In England, it was used for coronation rings and to this day enjoys popularity among royalty. The red aura of rubies makes them appear bigger than they really are. Rubies are the scarcest of all gemstones and command extremely high prices. Their average size is also generally less than any other gemstone's. Today, rubies have numerous applications: as styluses in turntables, as tiny bearings in expensive wristwatches, and in rod form, they form a crucial component at the laser's core. Ruby is the birthstone of July. Since Ruby represents romance and devotion, it is an excellent choice for an engagement ring. It is the traditional wedding anniversary gift for a couple's 15th and 40th year.

“A drop of the heart’s blood of Mother Earth” is how the ruby is described in the Orient. The Indians call the ruby Ratnanayaka, the lord of the gemstones. The Hindus called the ruby the king of precious stones and the leader of gems. They used to divide rubies into castes, much like social classes. Rubies were sorted into upper class, middle class, and lower class in terms of flawlessness and beauty. Much like today’s exclusive county clubs and their upper-class clientele, no inferior Ruby was allowed contact with a superior one because it was believed the inferior one would contaminate the better one, thereby diminishing its magical powers. In India, those who donated rubies to honor Krishna were assured being reborn as an emperor in a future life. Hindus consider light colored rubies to be appropriate for women, and darker ones for men. Elaborate ruby earrings have been a popular jewelry choice in India for centuries. In China, a Mandarin’s rank was indicated by the color of the stone in his ruby ring. A red jewel stone meant he was a key figure among the great.

Banner

Logged Logged

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Sapphire"!

Title: Birds of a Feather
Chapter 210

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 46
Lovely drabbles, Aviel & Lady Nef!

Logged Logged

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Ruby"!

Chapter 218

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Aviel wrote:
Here's my entry for "Ruby"!

Chapter 218

I really liked how you interpreted 'ruby', Aviel-chan! Well done!

Logged Logged

Maria-Salvatore29
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 10
Entry for Sapphire

Pretend Love
Rated T
Summary: CU. "If you do not stop this arranged mating you prepared. I shall be forced to take measures to avoid it, mother," Sesshomaru said. "And what shall you do?" His mother asked. "I will mate Inuyasha's wench." He threatened. "You wouldn't dare!" She huffed. "Watch me." He replied. Kagome Higurashi's fate was then sealed.
Chapter 18: The Candle

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Maria-Salvatore29 wrote:
Entry for Sapphire

Pretend Love
Rated T
Summary: CU. "If you do not stop this arranged mating you prepared. I shall be forced to take measures to avoid it, mother," Sesshomaru said. "And what shall you do?" His mother asked. "I will mate Inuyasha's wench." He threatened. "You wouldn't dare!" She huffed. "Watch me." He replied. Kagome Higurashi's fate was then sealed.
Chapter 18: The Candle

Nice use of the prompt, Maria-chan!

Logged Logged

LM Bluejay
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 10
Here's my entry for

Sapphire

dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/8514/12

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 46
LM Bluejay wrote:
Here's my entry for

Sapphire

dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/8514/12

Welcome to the Shiny Challenge, Bluejay! Thank you for participating! Well done!

Logged Logged

LM Bluejay
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 10

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 46
New Shiny entry: Diamond!

From myths about valleys of diamonds protected by snakes, to the production of millions of carats in rough diamonds each year, the history of diamonds is one of mystical power, beauty and commercial expertise. The name diamond is derived from the ancient Greek adámas, "proper", "unalterable", "unbreakable", "untamed", from a-, "un-" + damá?, "I overpower", "I tame".

The first recorded history of the diamond dates back some 3,000 years to India, where it is likely that diamonds were first valued for their ability to refract light. In those days, the diamond was used in two ways-for decorative purposes, and as a talisman to ward off evil or provide protection in battle. The diamond was also used for some time as medical aid. One anecdote, written during the Dark Ages by St Hildegarde, relates how a diamond held in the hand while making a sign of the cross would heal wounds and cure illnesses. Diamonds were also ingested in the hope of curing sickness.

During the Middle Ages more attention was paid to the worth of diamonds, rather than the mystical powers surrounding them. Due to the heightened public awareness of the value of diamonds, mine owners perpetuated myths that diamonds were poisonous. This was to prevent the mineworkers swallowing the diamonds in an attempt to smuggle them out of the mines. Diamonds were known in ancient Greece and the Roman empire. Consider the ancient Greeks and Romans who believed diamonds were tears of the Gods and splinters from falling stars.

The Hindus attributed so much power to them that they even placed them in the eyes of the statues of deities. Not only was it believed that diamonds could bring luck and success, but also that they could counter the effects of astrological events. There were many that wore diamonds as charms believing in their ability to heighten sexual prowess and attract others. Plato even wrote about diamonds as living beings, embodying celestial spirits.

Four characteristics, known informally as the four Cs, are now commonly used as the basic descriptors of diamonds: these are carat, cut, color, and clarity. A large, flawless diamond is known as a paragon. The hardness of diamond contributes to its suitability as a gemstone. Because it can only be scratched by other diamonds, it maintains its polish extremely well. Unlike many other gems, it is well-suited to daily wear because of its resistance to scratching—perhaps contributing to its popularity as the preferred gem in engagement or wedding rings, which are often worn every day. Diamonds come in various colors. In order of rarity, yellow diamond is followed by brown, colorless, then by blue, green, black, pink, orange, purple, and red.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/05 04:57 By Stella Mira.

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Diamond"!

Title: Solaris
Rated: T
Chapter 85

Logged Logged

~krazy4fluffy~
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4
www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/8559/60

Entry for Sapphire.
Rated MA

Logged Logged

The most beautiful souls are those which can be bared with love.
*~*Missy*~*
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 20
Here's my Entry for Emerald Stella I hope you like it
Sapphire as well
Ruby Blush
And finally here's my post for Diamond
www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/7867/160
Rated MA

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/29 05:14 By mistress of rave.

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.